Forums
This thread relates to...
MainStage 3 101
Core Training: MainStage 3 Explored
by: Vanacoro
More Info
  • Brooksy
    Controllers
    Hi everyone, I have two questions: How do I stop all the faders in Mainstage getting uniformly whacked up to the max if someone accidentally touches a fader or volume control on the connected keyboard? There must be a box I can uncheck somewhere in a dark corner that I can't find. Secondly, and slightly contrary to the first question, if I wanted to unmute faders on Mainstage mid-song while I was playing is there a way of doing it without actually clicking them on-screen with the cursor? Can I assign a button on a controller keyboard or a foot pedal to unmute specific faders? Any thoughts and theories would be greatly appreciated. David
  • Joe A
    Re: Controllers
    Hi David - For the second question -- you could create a button or slider in MainStage in Layout and in the Screen Control Inspector there assign a button or slider on your keyboard to control it, then in Edit select that button or slider and in the Screen Control Inspector there assign it to the parameter you want [like Volume or Mute on the desired channel strip]. I've attached a MainStage course to this thread (click More Info, above] -- video 21 seems to cover how to make these mapping assignments.. For the first question -- to prevent a channel strip from responding to MIDI volume accidentally sent from a keyboard slider, I guess you could insert the MIDI FX plug-in called Modifier, select CC7 Volume as the Input Event setting and leave the Re-Assign setting on Off. That should block that MIDI CC from getting to the channel strip and accidentally changing the volume. There's probably another way to do this [globally?] but that's what I could think of off the top of my head.. That same course has some additional videos [after the one above] on mapping controls that might give you further ideas..
  • Brooksy
    Hi Joe, That all sounds perfect. I'm going in! Thank you for taking the time. David
  • Mia white
    hi, im not sure on the second question. but this worked for me as well I suppose you could use the MIDI FX plug-in Modifier, pick CC7 Volume as the Input Event option, and keep the Re-Assign parameter off to prevent a channel strip from responding to MIDI volume mistakenly supplied from a keyboard slider. That should prevent the MIDI CC from reaching the channel strip and adjusting the volume by mistake. There's definitely a better method to accomplish this [globally? ], but that's all I can think of for now.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: