Forums
This thread relates to...
Logic Pro X 109
Core Training ā€“ The Score Editor
by: peterschwartz
More Info
  • ErikvdVen
    Positioning Rests in the Logic Pro X Score Editor
    Hi! I've complete the wonderful Core Training The Score Editor by Peter Schwartz. Very informative, fun, and helpful. Though I'm still running into problems when creating a good drum score. I run into the problem of placements of rests in the hi-hat/cymbal stem that overlaps the placement of notes in the kick/snare stem. They are both on the same bar of course, but I'd like to move the rests of the upper voice a bit higher, and the rests that appear on the lower voice a bit lower. There seems to be no way to select the rest by easily clicking on them like I can with the notes. Also with the layout tool, the rests are not clickable. Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this problem? It is not covered in Peter Schwartz course, unfortunately. Thank you very much in advance for helping me out here. Kind regards, Erik
  • Joe A
    Re: Positioning Rests in the Logic Pro X Score Editor
    Hi Erik - I see what you mean.. The only option I could find was to suppress the display of rests (for the hats) entirely in the Staff Styles window, but that may not be suitable for some drum/hihat patterns.. I'll attach Peter's course to this thread, maybe someone will know of a workaround..
  • ErikvdVen
    Hi Joe! Thank you very much for your quick reply. And you are absolutely right: hiding the rests of the HH bar does suppress the display of rests. But you're even more right: in this case, that is not what I'm looking for. I surely need the rests to be displayed in most parts where they occur. So hopefully someone will know a workaround... Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!! It is very much appreciated!
  • Joe A
    Hi Erik - Ok, apparently if you enter rests by hand from the partbox you can move them around to some degree. I hid the automatic rests for the hihat and dragged in replacements from the partbox -- Logic wouldn't let me position them within the staff slightly higher than the automatic position, but it would let me position them just above the top staff line. If I replaced a few problematic rests and then turned the automatic rest display back on, all the rests seemed to move a little, but I was still able to move the manually-inserted rests -- it seems a little glitchy (manual positioning can be a bit jumpy), but it does appear to work. So maybe it wouldn't be necessary to manually insert all rests, just problematically-positioned ones. With a little experimentation, hopefully you might be able to get this to work for you.. Btw, I tested this in Logic 10.5..
  • ErikvdVen
    Hi Joe! This is a wonderful workaround for now. I can at least deliver a score that has no weird layout problems for now. I was hoping I could change an overall setting so this problem wouldn't occur anymore throughout the whole score. That will safe me hours of future work and possible human errors (it really takes a close look of find every rest in the score that possibly overlaps with notes below). But for now, it works! In case anybody knows are more structured solution that doesn't require making repetitive manual adjustments, I'd be very happy to hear so! :-) Thank you Joe, this is really helpful!
  • Joe A
    Hi Erik - You're welcome! Of course it's less than ideal, and probably more than a little labor-intensive, but at least you'll be able to get the score looking right. If you do come across a more automatic solution at some point, please let us know.. :-)
  • ErikvdVen
    Hi Joe! Absolutely, thank you very much, and I'd be more than happy to share any other solution that I hope eventually come across. :-)
  • AlwaysaPlanB
    Very interesting thread. I am trying to insert rests to make independent notes in a piano score make more sense. I have a minim chord held on beat 1, then the tune comes in on the second quaver of the bar, so having a quaver rest above the held chord would make sense. However, when I drag one from the rest box, it just disappears. Any ideas what Iā€™m doing wrong, please?
  • Joe A
    Hi - I would assume it has to do with using a polyphonic staff style to separate the tune from the chords on the staff -- otherwise the score won't let you add a rest since it sees there's a chord playing at that moment. The attached course [More Info, above] talks about this in videos 14, 15, and 16 [and beyond?] -- maybe that'll be helpful. [I did get it to work here, but I'm sure there's a more elegant way to arrange the notes on the staff than what I did -- hopefully the course will clarify, or maybe someone who uses the Logic Score display regularly [I haven't really used it in years] will have a suggestion or two]..
  • AlwaysaPlanB
    Thanks for pointing that out, Joe. I am sure that a multi-channel staff style is the way to go. It would be nice if we could just set independent rest. In the end, I extended the bar using the lyric-containing-lots-of-spaces trick, erased a couple of note heads and then used a vertical line from the part box and an underscore text to create a beamed quaver pair (because it appears you can't beam independent notes), then I used a text "7" instead of a quaver rest. It looks legible but it was a bit of a faff. I have not yet had a chance to look at videos 14, 15 & 16 but I will get round to them. Thanks again.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: