Forums
This thread relates to...
Logic Pro X 100
What's New in Logic Pro X 10.5
by: joshuacarney
More Info
  • Joe A
    Logic Pro X 10.5 Is Here!
    Apple has released Logic Pro X 10.5, a major update to their flagship DAW! Along with numerous refinements and fixes, it's chock full of new features, including - Live Loops : a grid-based music production and live performance toolkit - Remix FX : a playable multi-FX plugin for individual tracks and mixing - Step Sequencer : an integrated sequencer with a multitude of programmable parameters - Pattern Loops : a new category of loops designed specifically for the Step Sequencer - Quick Sampler : a Drag and Drop single sample instrument - Sampler : Logics new (backward-compatible) sampler instrument replacement for the EXS24 - Drum Synth : Logics new electronic drum instrument - Auto Sampler : a new utility to sample any hardware or software instrument - Drum Machine Designer : redesigned and now works with Quick Sampler or any instrument - And More : lots of new content/loops and several other workflow features Check out "What's New in Logic Pro X 10.5" from Joshua Carney, a free overview course that covers the cool new toys.
  • Steve H
    Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 Is Here!
    So what do you think about this update?? I’d like to know!
  • Joe A
    So far I've only really had the chance to play around with the updated EXS – sorry, "Sampler" ;-) – but the re-skinning is a welcome new look, with a more accessible layout, and the ability to access the deeper tweaks right from the front panel should make it much easier to get in and make specific adjustments. I'm looking forward to trying out all the auto-mapping features, to see how well the new algorithms work in analyzing and arranging samples, and the mapping & zone editing displays (with a look & feel reminiscent of Kontakt and other high-end samplers) are much easier to work with than the clunky old separate-window mapping option. So far Sampler has maintained 100% compatibility with my old EXS patches (as promised), even the ones that utilize some of the more obscure features (random sample-select, exclusive groups, etc). The companion Quick Sampler seems to include a logical subset of the (more extensive) Sampler feature set, and I'm curious to try out the implementation of Auto-Sampler (as a plug-in) here in Logic.. Despite a couple of polite Logic shut-downs while digging around in Sampler (it is a .0 release, after all), on the whole 10.5 has been pretty stable. When I get the chance I'd like to try out Logic's version of Loop-based production and see how it stacks up to Ableton's Session View, as well as the new drum synth options, and the dedicated Step Sequencer, which looks pretty cool.. :-)
  • Steve H
    I’m autosampling today by loading up massive track stacks. Fun stuff.
  • dynamicalan
    Do you know if any Logic instruments have been discontinued such as the es instruments or the Drummer or other things? Thank You
  • Joe A
    As far as I can see everything is still there, except for - EXS, which is replaced by Sampler, but it's 100% backward-compatible - Drum Machine Designer, which is a new version -- in fact when you choose it from the Instrument menu [it sits alone near the bottom of the Instrument list] it actually loads a Track Stack, in which each slot loads a separate instance of Quick Sampler, either via the Library or by sample drag & drop All the other Instruments -- all the synths [big & small], the Vintage Insts, the Studio Insts [Horns/Strings], DKD & Ultrabeat [+ the new Drum Synth], Sculpture, and, of course, Alchemy -- are still there.
  • dynamicalan
    Thank you very much for letting me know.
  • Student463789
    I may have gotten lost in the depths of Logic but since the update, I cannot find some of the old producer kits like 'Boutique 808'? The channel strips of these kits still work in my old projects but these kits don't seem to be in the instrument library anymore. Has anyone else had this problem//could just tell me where I've slipped up?! Thanks in advance if anyone can help :))
  • Joe A
    Hi - "Boutique 808" it still there, it shows up under the Plug-In Settings for Ultrabeat.. Other Producer Kits (for DKD) are still there in the Library; if Boutique 808 was in the Library and isn't now, I'd guess it's because the new Drum Machine Designer uses the new Quick Sampler under the hood, instead of using Ultrabeat under the hood, as before -- I assume that's why the Boutique 808 kit shows up as an Ultrabeat Plug-In Setting.
  • Student463789
    Brilliant thank you so much! I don't know why I was so stuck here but you've selflessly dragged me outta the hole, have a great day :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: