Forums
This thread relates to...
Logic Pro X 109
Core Training – The Score Editor
by: peterschwartz
More Info
  • Student474226
    change default accidentals?
    Hi, I have a clear example...so F#major key set up in the project/score editor, I record the chords using my midi controller, the notes of the chords get the right names in Piano roll (I turned on the note labels from view mode to double check) A# C# F meaning A#minor (one would think :) ). However, when I play the chords on the midi controller I see the midi event being displayed as Bflat minor (the enharmonic). I also get the same Bflat minor in the piano roll editor window when I select all the notes of the chords. My question is how can I possibly get the correct name of the chords of F#major, for my specific example, in their root positions? Meaning no inversions weird translations or enharmonic..? Thank you very much!
  • Joe A
    Re: change default accidentals?
    Hi - Hmm.. When I set the key to F# Major in the Score editor both the score and the piano roll showed the notes correctly [F#, A#, etc] -- even the MIDI input display in the header showed them as sharps. But then I tried a new Project with the same thing as Gb Major and while the Score editor displayed the notes properly on the staff, selecting notes identified them as the enharmonic equivalent sharps, and the notes were still labelled as the enharmonic sharps in the Piano Roll and MIDI input displays. I haven't worked in the Score editor for many years, so I don't remember if there's any way to address that, or if its just a longstanding display bug, though I do remember that there were always lots of quirks when it came to notation. I did notice that in the Piano Roll Scale Quantize menu, certain enharmonic keys are available and others aren't, for some strange reason..? There are ways to force enharmonic shifts in the Score display itself [Functions > Note Attributes], but I guess that's not what you're trying to fix -- I gather things are correct in the Score window staff display, it's elsewhere where the wrong enharmonic values persist.. Maybe someone who uses Logic's notation regularly will have come across this and have a suggestion..
  • Student474226
    If you were able to get the correct chord names while playing them in the root positions for F# major and I can't it must be something in the DAW....somewhere in the configs. Or it may be the way the midi controller sends the chord names? I am not sure where the names of the chords get solved based of the notes played...I wish more professional composers would use Logic as their main tool. Every time when I ask a score question I am directed by the majority of people to Finale or Sibelius...I still resist. I really want to work with Logic. :) I use LaunchKey 25 and Komplete Kontrol S88, with both I get the same results. And thank you for replying to my question! Best
  • Joe A
    Hi - The display in Logic that reads out the notes and chord names of incoming MIDI from the controller is not getting note names from the keyboard -- the incoming MIDI note data identifies a note played by a MIDI note number, not a musical note name, and Logic assigns the note name [and calculates the chords] supposedly based on the global Key set for the Project, though apparently that doesn't always reflect the correct enharmonic version of the global Key. It does display accidentals correctly in the Score display staff, I guess resolving that throughout the rest of the program is low priority. Remember, applications like Finale or Sibelius are dedicated notation programs, while Logic's notation is an added feature in a general-purpose DAW. Compared with the minimal notation implementation in some other DAWs, Logic's is pretty full-featured, but it isn't the primary feature. At least the display issue here doesn't seem to get in the way of generating a score page with the correct note display..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: