Ask.Video
Forums
This thread relates to...
Final Cut Pro 101
Absolute Beginner's Guide
by: iainanderson
More Info
  • Student471210
    Final Cut Pro X is it okay to delete backup project files?
    Hi, I'm obviously a Final Cut Pro novice which is why I'm asking for help. I've been working on a huge video and lately, I've been noticing that the project has been crashing a lot more frequently than usual. I noticed that I have been running out of space. I took a look at my backup project files and noticed that there are a few over the last several hours but at least 3 of them are nearly 200GB in size?!. I need that space to carry on working but I'm unsure if it is even safe to delete any of these files and I'm terrified of losing any of my progress as it is nearly finished. What do these huge backup files contain compared to say the ones that are around 3gb in size? Is it render information? is it the actual clips themselves? surely the clips are stored separately in the folder that I put them in originally? Would I be okay to delete an older backup file (One of the huge 200gb ones) or will this mess up the latest version of the project? Any advice is much appreciated I'm super scared of losing anything I've done so far. Any help is much appreciated. Many Thanks - J https://ibb.co/s1vmkXb
  • Joe A
    Re: Final Cut Pro X is it okay to delete backup project files?
    Hi - I'm primarily an audio guy, but AFAICT the general consensus seems to be that render files would be the most likely culprit, as you guessed. This Apple support page discusses how to address that, if that is what's causing the large files in your case.. https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/manage-render-files-ver68a8c250/10.4.9/mac/10.14.6 However, if you're in the middle of a project I'd be very wary of deleting anything -- if you decide to follow the Apple support page recommendations make sure you have a complete and thorough backup of the entire project, just in case you delete anything you shouldn't. And take note -- there seem to be two different versions of that support document, one for FCPX 10.4.9 and a different one for 10.4.7. I've also linked this thread to one of our FCPX courses [above] -- maybe a regular FCP user/guru will offer suggestions or guidance..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: