Forums
This thread relates to...
Final Cut Pro X 108
Core Training: Finishing Up Your Project
by: michaelWohl
More Info
  • chawke
    FCP reduces exported mp4 resolution without warning
    My video project is HD-vertical (1080x1920). After exporting it as an mp4 by using the settings Computer and H.264 Better Quality at the export prompt, I see that the resolution of the exported video has downgraded without warning to 608x1080 - although the Resolution in the export prompt itself was listed as 1080x1920! I'm having to use a third-party mov-to-mp4 converter (like the online Adobe Premier converter) as a workaround to maintain 1080x1920. How do I get FCP to export mp4s in the set resolution?
  • Joe A
    Re: FCP reduces exported mp4 resolution without warning
    Hi - A few quick searches turned up just that suggestion that it might be an export bug and the recommendation to re-select the desired resolution when exporting as a workaround. I didn't see any more definitive answers regarding exporting at the wrong resolution, though apparently there are plenty of questions on FCP export issues/limitations, and a number of responses suggested using a separate converter to get the desired resolution as you did.. I'm an audio guy myself [I don't have FCP here to test] so I can't advise, but I've attached a link to a FCP course on finishing/exporting from FCP to this thread [More Info, above] -- it seems to have a lot of discussion on export options and customizing export settings, so maybe there'll be something helpful there, or perhaps a regular FCP user/guru will weigh in with a suggestion..
  • chawke
    Re: FCP reduces exported mp4 resolution without warning
    Wow, thanks, this worked! Since on the prompt dropdown it was already set as 1080x1920, I changed the dropdown value to 720x1280, then back to 1080x1920, before exporting. Immediately I saw that the estimated size was significantly greater than before the switch. And it worked - exported resolution was vertical-HD. Reported the bug to Apple. Thanks again.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: