Forums
This thread relates to...
Final Cut Pro 101
Absolute Beginner's Guide
by: iainanderson
More Info
  • Student489320
    Black Vertical Bars on side
    Hello. When I rotate and resize clips, the black bars on the side seem to have disappeared. So, when I play the full video, the clips bounce back and forth from having black vertical bars on the sides to none. Is there a way to lock that in while I'm editing and rotating? Many thanks. Jason
  • Joe A
    Re: Black Vertical Bars on side
    Hi Jason - I'm not a FCPX user myself (I'm an audio guy) but a quick search seemed to suggest that it might have to do with Project properties vs Media properties..? I also saw a [very old] thread that suggested that using stabilization might have something to do with black bars..? I'm not sure if any of that would relate to what you're experiencing, bu I've attached a FCPX course to this thread -- perhaps there'll be something useful in there, or maybe a regular FCP user/guru will take notice and weigh in with a more definitive response..
  • iain-anderson
    Hi, course author here. If you've put vertical shots in a widescreen timeline, or vice-versa, then you'll probably see black bars on the sides (or the top). The best way to avoid this is to shoot in the same format that you want to deliver, portrait or landscape, and match the project settings to that. If you try to mix portrait and landscape, you'll end up with black bars, or compromising quality by scaling and cropping. If you *do* want to force black bars all the time, you can add an image of black bars on top, or use the Letterbox effect on an adjustment layer. That effect is built for widescreen, though.
  • Sparta Hill
    Very Helpful Thanks
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: