Forums
This thread relates to...
Final Cut Pro 202
Compositing and Visual FX
by: iainanderson
More Info
  • Student488370
    Bringing part of Video to front.
    Hi there, I am new to FCPX, learning slowly and loving it. I have searched around for answers before resorting to posting this on a forum! (First time ever posting on a forum site). Images here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10CuNaibZ15YdUB9eSScDQa5CwKAIcJ3p?usp=sharing I am looking for a way to bring a certain part of the video in front of some text. Not the whole video, only a part of it. I am creating a video with a pair of old fashioned hanging weighing scales, (using the analogy of 'life weighing you down'). As the large text 'LIFE' appears on one side of the scales, it becomes un-balanced and moves. To animate this i have added keyframes to the text 'LIFE' so it moves with the scales. The area the text 'LIFE' is sat on, is a basket suspended by 3 hanging chains. To make the text look even more realistic i would like to place it behind the two front chains, so it appears to be sat in the basket. What is the easiest way to go about this please? My plan was to photoshop a small area of the image and text, placing the chains over the front of the text, and then add the image in to FCPX, lining it up exactly with the original video, and add key frames to the image. Is this the easiest way? If there is an official way of bringing parts of the video to front, would love to know! Thank you in advance! Jake
  • Joe A
    Re: Bringing part of Video to front.
    Hi Jake - I'm not a FCP user [I'm really an audio guy], but I think there'd be two ways to do it -- the way you described, photoshopping the image to add the chain, or copying the clip and Trimming it in FCP [Crop > Trim] to just the chain [I assume you could bring the Trimmed clip to the front by arranging it above the other clips in the timeline?]. The photoshopping method sounds like the easiest way to me, but again, I'm not really a FCP user, it may be just as easy to do it in FCP.. I've attached a FCP course to the thread -- maybe there'll be something useful in there [video 4 is on Cropping]..? Better yet, maybe a regular FCP user/guru will respond with a suggestion..
  • Student488370
    Thanks Joe! Will check it out. Much appreciated.
  • BenB
    Check out this tutorial. https://www.macprovideo.com/article/final-cut/fcp-x-video-inside-text-and-shapes
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: