Forums
This thread relates to...
Melodyne 101
Melodyne 5 Explained and Explored
by: joshuacarney
More Info
  • Joe A
    Melodyne 5
    Melodyne has long been considered the top of the line when it comes to time & pitch shifting, and Melodyne 5 is the latest incarnation of this powerful tool. As both a standalone application and a plug-in Melodyne brings its capabilities to any environment, and Joshua Carney's new course "Melodyne 5 Explained and Explored" covers everything you'll need to know about this audio editing tool, from basic vocal tuning and quantizing to innovative sound design. Melodyne's industry-leading algorithms make it possible to manipulate pitch, time, note length, attack time, formant shift, and more, with little or no audio artifacts. And the icing on the cake is its unique DNA (Direct Note Access) technology, which lets you dig inside chords and adjust the pitch & timing of individual notes for polyphonic instruments [like piano, synth, and guitar]β€”an advanced feature only available in Melodyne! The course covers how to transfer audio into Melodyne, its time & pitch shifting algorithms, and its key macros: pitch, quantize and leveling. Various vocal examples take a step by step approach demonstrating how to get the most out of these tools for both corrective and creative applications. So to get the full lowdown on this industry-leading software, check out Joshua's Melodyne 5 course, and become a true master of time & pitch.
  • Student463681
    Re: Melodyne 5 How to Activate Editor
    I installed the trial version, and on the 29th day I purchased the Editor version. It shows that I have it in my account. Today, I tried to activate the purchased version, but instead it gave me another 10 day trial. I can't figure out how to just activate my new version of 5.02 that I just purchased. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
  • Joe A
    Re: Melodyne 5
    That seems odd.. It's been too long since I last upgraded my old copy of Melodyne, so I can't recall the process, but I never ran into anything like that -- I wonder if that's some kind of free Trial extension, like Ableton extending their fee Trial from 90 days to 180 days..? I would think that you're probably going to have to get in touch with Celemony directly to sort this one out.. In the past when I've dealt with them they were always pretty prompt and helpful, though of course response time may be a little slower than usual these days..
  • Student482835
    Hi Joe, I've watched a bunch of videos on it but must have missed the one(s) that would explain why my melodyne behaves this way and I'm hoping it's a setting and not a glitch: If I shift a note, either in pitch or in timing, it immediately gets super smoothed out and honky in sound (like a horn honking). If I pitch shift up to maybe 20 cents I'm fine. If I try to change anything more it starts to develop artifacts quickly. By 40 cents it's useless, and if I try to move it to a whole other note (move up a minor third, for example) it sounds like a synth at that point - nothing like a human voice. With timing shifts it seems not to matter how far I shift it - if I move it in time at all it gets honky and synthy immediately. A clue seems to be the fact that when I move it in time, it seems to be only moving SOME frequencies, as there is still a "ghost" or "phantom" of the original note in it's original place, still sounding. It sounds like it might be the frequencies that are missing from the honky version in the new location. So I'm thinking Melodyne is splitting the note into two groups of frequencies and only moving one group while leaving the other group where it was. I don't know enough to know what formants really are or transients yet, so I don't know if it's something like that or just a glitch. I'm hoping this is a setting that I can control. Melodyne is fantastic for pitch correction for me. Luckily I'm never more than 15 cents off a note at my worst so it works very well for that basic purpose. But anything more (moving a note in a backing vocal to another note) and it falls apart for me. Any clues what I should start looking at or checking? I'm assuming this can't be as intended I hope? Thanks!
  • Joe A
    Hi - I assume you're talking about finished edits, not the synthetic sound Melodyne makes as you're actually moving the notes (that's just a reference sound).. In Melodyne you should be able to time-shift a whole note without too much artifact, but stretching a note can create artifacts -- how much really depends on the particular audio. Likewise you should be able to pitch-shift a note by at least a third (three or four semitones) or so before you start to hear artifacts. Make sure you're in the regular edit display, not the Note Assignment Mode (the little wrench).. Remember, even Melodyne Editor only works with notes from the same instrument -- if there are notes from different instruments in the audio file -- especially if they overlap -- then you could get weird effects like what you're describing..
  • Student482835
    Thanks Joe, I'll check for the wrench. This is my recorded vocal audio - all me, same mic, same settings so nothing complicated or overlapping there. And I'm not talking about the sound it sometimes makes while dragging no. I am talking about the finished edits yes. When I move notes a full note (semitone) they sound pretty much like they do while I'm dragging them - super honky. Like I said, the biggest clue for me is that there is still "ghost" audio from the moved note still remaining at the location I moved it from and it sounds like it might be what's missing from the finished edit. It sounds like it's all the harsher parts of that spectrum so that what gets moved is only the soft, round, honky, synthy part of the frequency spectrum. I'm assuming that the intention cannot be to move a note and still have a "ghost" portion of it remain where you moved it from. So this has got to be some kind of glitch or bad setting somehow..... I'll look for the wrench to start. If that doesn't solve it I'll reach out to their support. I am definitely NOT able to move a note three semitones or do any time shifting at all - that is for absolute sure. I see ppl on videos do it all the time and I wonder "why won't that work for me?" and it kind of sucks because I bought the studio version to get all the bells and whistles to be able to do what I need to. As it turns out I got a horn. Strange.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: