Forums
This thread relates to...
Music Theory 109
Music Theory for DAW Musicians
by: joshuacarney
More Info
  • Erick
    Re: A midi keyboard
    Hey Student469162, Did you figure it out? As mentioned by Joe A. , a metronome is just audible reference. IE: What do you notice when you hit play on your DAW with the metronome turned on? 1. I hear a sound with a steady pulse. The pulse has a rhythm that sounds like 1 loud sound and 3 smaller sounds after it. 2. I notice the timeline in my DAW is synchronized with the steady pulse. For example: We only hear a pulse (metronome) when the playhead hits a vertical line. 3. I notice that every vertical line in my DAW represents a metronome sound. No matter what tempo, key signature, etc... Ultimately the metronome is there to help keep you in synch with your session. Some DAWs allow you to change the metronome sound to something different, try it out! I hope that helps. Cheers!
  • Student469162
    Hi. I only hear 1 loud click, not 3 smaller sounds after it. And I only hear the loud click in every vertical line which represents a quarter note (the lighter vertical lines after every four squares). But I have garageband and catalina. Do you have anything else? But that I hear, when I only hit to metronome sign. Aside of that sign, there are numbers 1234. I understand, they are also related to metronome. For what I can use them? Thanks!
  • Joe A
    Yes, the Metronome will click one click for each quarter-note -- the downbeat (the 1) of each bar will have a higher-pitched click than the others. The 1234 button enables a countoff. A countoff is where GB will click for a bar (or two) when you press record before recording begins (the transport strats moving), to give the player a chance to get ready to come in on time and at the correct tempo.
  • Student469162
    So a countoff is like a pause before starting recording... ? And if I don't use it, it's OK?
  • Joe A
    Yes, but it's a pause with a purpose -- to help you get ready to come in at the right time and at the right tempo. If you have to play a note on the first beat of the recording (especially at the beginning of the song), without a countoff you'll probably come in off-time..
  • Student469162
    Well, music theory says that there are 7 keys - ABCDEFG. And they are repeating continously. If I open a midi keyboard of mac, I can see there - ASDFGHJKLÖÄ. I have learned, that if I need to know in which key is my song, I only need to cmd k, and then activate an instrument. The first note what will be playing, that is the key, right? OK. You see that ASDFGHJKLÖÄ, that is a pretty different of real order of keys. Where are the right key letters (ABCDEFG) on the midi keyboard?
  • Joe A
    Ok, two things.. - The ASDFGHJKL;' keys are just the letters on a normal QWERTY computer keyboard -- those letters have nothing to do with musical keys. The A is musical note C -- ASDFGHJKL;' are equivalent to musical notes C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F respectively, with the black keys shown above being the sharps and flats -- WETYUOP are equivalent to musical notes C#,D#,F#,G#,A#,C#,D# respectively. - None of this has anything to do with what key your song is in -- that depends on what notes you choose to play and how you arrange the chords throughout the song -- the home key a song is in can be any key. Of course that's a topic (musical harmony) way too big to explain in a discussion forum -- I assume the course linked at the top of this thread (and other courses suggested earlier in this thread) cover all that over many videos..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: