Forums
This thread relates to...
Choosing a DAW 101
7 DAWs Compared
by: joshuacarney
More Info
  • Joe A
    New Course: 7 DAWs Compared
    Deciding which of the many capable DAWs out there is the best one to work in can be a daunting task, but Joshua Carney's new course "7 DAWs Compared" can be a great help in making that call.. All DAWs have their own strengths and weaknesses, and each one is likely to have certain unique features or workflows that are best-suited to a particular user's approach -- some excel at editing; one might have the ideal mixing plug-in suite; another might offer better tools for mastering; and one might offer the biggest or best collection of virtual instruments. The course takes a look at seven popular DAWs to compare their similarities and differences: Avid Pro Tools, Apple's Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Reason, Steinberg's Cubase, PreSonus Studio One, and Reaper. With all that information consolidated into one place, this course is the ideal resource for anyone getting ready to make a commitment to the best DAW for their creative work.
  • amcpherson
    Re: New Course: 7 DAWs Compared
    Surprised that Bitwig Studio was not included, because it seems to be fully featured and comparable to the other DAWs in this course. Is there a reason?
  • Joe A
    Interesting.. Maybe Josh was just sticking to DAWs that have been around for a longer time and are more widely known/used..? I'm not all that familiar with Bitwig myself -- could it be lacking any basic features that those other DAWs all have? Perhaps Josh will chime in.. :-)
  • Josh Carney
    Two reasons I didn't cover it: 1.) Bitwig is not very popular, at least here in the US. MPV's own article (from 2018) lists the following in terms of widely used DAWs, although, I'm not sure how this list has changed in the last 3 years. Studio One and Reaper have certainly gained a lot of popularity since 2018. Ableton Live - 20.52% Logic Pro - 19.20% Pro Tools - 16.13% Cubase - 10.43% FL Studio - 6.40% Studio One - 5.71% Reason - 4.98% Reaper - 4.96% Other - 4.28% Sonar - 3.01% GarageBand - 2.22% Bitwig Studio - 1.22% Digital Perfomer - 0.94% 2. For Brevity, and just from a practical standpoint (me having no experience with Bitwig), I had to cut some DAWs from the list. I opted to not include Bitwig, DP, Sonar and FL Studio, despite having experience with the latter three. Reaper was almost left out as well, but I decided to cover it briefly since it has a standalone plugin version, that can be used in any VST/AU DAW. Link to Article: https://www.macprovideo.com/article/news/top-12-most-popular-daws-you-voted-for
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: