Forums
This thread relates to...
Logic Pro X 208
Alchemy Explored
by: davidearl
More Info
  • RedW28
    Play samples from pads and keys from Alchemy
    Hi, I’m new to this but have read loads but can’t find a way to do this. I have an Axion air 32 and MainStage 3. First, I want to load a sample to a pad that I can trigger repeatedly without resetting it. For example, start the sample and as it ends, trigger it again. If I map it to a pad through the edit function, I can’t restart it without first stopping it, which doesn’t work for me. I did get that working once but I can’t remember how! However it wasn’t perfect as there was a momentary gap as it started again so not fluent enough. If I load it into EX24 it works perfectly, however, I also want to use an Alchemy patch whilst the sample is playing and I can’t see that I can do that so that option doesn’t work either. The first option looks to be the one but I can’t quite get it to work. All help appreciated. Thank Pete
  • Joe A
    Re: Play samples from pads and keys from Alchemy
    Just off the top of my head, I might guess that if there's a gap when re-triggering your sample in Alchemy you might want to check its envelope (and the Wait knob?) to see if there's any lag dialed in there (and also the sample itself to see if there are any gaps there that could be eliminated by adjusting the start/end points—though if it works in EXS it's probably not in the sample itself). Loading a sample (a loop) and triggering it (at least from a keyboard) seems to work ok here—repeated key presses restart the sample without any gap.. I guess you could alternately create a layered Concert in MainStage with both an EXS Patch and an Alchemy Patch (since you say what you want to do with the sample is working in EXS)—maybe that would be an easier solution..? You may have already checked out the Logic/Alchemy courses, but if not I've linked this thread to one—maybe you'll see something in there that could be helpful, or perhaps someone who spends more time in Alchemy than me might have a more specific suggestion..
  • RedW28
    Re: Play samples from pads and keys from Alchemy
    Thanks Joe, great suggestions. I didn't originally use Alchemy, I built a workspace with some pads and assigned the samples. However, I have layered the keyboard and that works perfectly! I think the only advantage to the other method would be the ability to snap the samples to a beat if I missed the timing slightly. I'll definitely work through some of the courses as well. Thanks for the help. Peter
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: