Forums
This thread relates to...
Logic Pro 307
The Step Sequencer
by: joshuacarney
More Info
  • Joe A
    Logic's Step Sequencer
    Among the many cool additions in Logic 10.5 is a new feature-rich Step Sequencer, and Joshua Carney's new course "LOGIC PRO X 305 The Step Sequencer" takes you though the ins & outs it. The new Step Sequencer sports an infinite number of independent rows, which can play back at different speeds with different lengths, polyrhythmically. Different rows can simultaneously cycle forward & backward, and there's even a row setting labelled "Chance"for soem creative randomization. The course covers all the basics of the Step Sequencer -- essential key commands, how to program your own patterns -- and then digs deeper in the the Step Editor advanced features, showing different ways to alter the pattern grooves and add variations. Step Sequencer is pretty deep, with polyrhythmic beats, basslines, and chords, randomized melodic patterns, automated synth parameters, fast trap-style hi-hat rolls, and more... The course dives into Step Sequencer's capabilities, and will be well worth watching.
  • Hewoja
    Re: Logic's Step Sequencer
    Hi Josh, first of all I would like to thank MusicTechHelpGuy for many great videos about Logic Pro X :) Could you give advice on how to use Logic Remote with the step sequencer? Having five videos about automation, talking about the slide automation mode, for a smoother transition of automation values would be helpful. Perhaps I missed it? I would like to know if it is possible to record/convert pattern cells with the actual values of the random sub row and/or the random playback mode into MIDI cells for a while and then choose the parts that are great?
  • Zihosou
    Can you show Logic's Step Sequencer controlling external synths. Specifically, I'd love to see a workflow for using Elektron devices (Analog RYTM MkII, Digitakt, etc.) with Logic's Step Sequencer and Drum Machine Designer. Thanks! Michael
  • Joe A
    Hi guys - If there continues to be a lot of interest in the new Step Sequencer, maybe Josh can be persuaded to come up with a sequel.. ;-) So far, using Step Sequencer with external devices (Logic Remote, external synths) seems to be an area of interest..
  • Student186462
    Have been enjoying this course, and having fun with the sequencer. I ran into one problem so far though, my velocity control in the step sequencer doesn’t seem to work on my Arthuria plug ins. Any ideas? Thanks Graham.
  • Joe A
    Hi Graham - Your description implies that Velocity does work with other Instruments, yes? I don't have any Arturia VI's installed here to check, but it occurs to me that many of Arturia's instruments are models of classic synths, where the originals were not velocity-sensitive, so if they modeled that characteristic [for the sake of accuracy] it may be the instrument itself that doesn't respond to Velocity [at least by default]—if you've been using Arturia's synths, that could be a possible reason. If you have been trying it with Arturia synths only, and if you have any of Arturia's classic keyboards [Rhodes, Wurli, acoustic piano, which are guaranteed to respond normally to Velocity] maybe try one of those just to make sure..
  • Student186462
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I will try the velocity with some of the Arturia pianos and let you know. Thanks again. G
  • Sway Molina
    My mind is blown. Love the step sequencer.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: