Ask.Video
Forums
  • Rexinator
    Logic X Mania
    Not to be a spoilsport about the Logic X enthusiasm, as it looks awesome, but I'm really hoping that this focus subsides before too long. Some of us (like me) may be in the middle of projects and are not inclined to jump into a new DAW version anytime soon. I'd really like get on board with the tips you are offering up on X, but since I'm staying with 9 for now, I'm feel like I've been left at the station. I know I can catch up later by way of the excellent MPV tutorials (I'm a big-time user), and I will certainly do that, but I'm really wondering how many home studio geeks are able to get into to a new version as soon as it's released. It's not the migration of the projects that causes my hesitation (or the expense), but rather the obvious learning curve, because X appears to be a lot different than 9 (it even switches to Roman numerals for the version number, as a case in point). Frankly, while I've been avidly assimilating as much knowledge as I can gather on Logic over the years, I'm still peeling the onion on Logic 9. I guess I'm just frustrated by the excitement and feeling kind of left out of the party. Anyway, I hope you guys will return to the broader spectrum of Hub articles for all those like me who are still wallowing in Logic 9.
  • logicluvva
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Logic X Mania
    Hi, Rexinator. I appreciate your thoughts on this. I only just recently upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard...and more recently ( like three days ago ) to Mountain Lion.So I know about the feeling of being apprehensive about other people seemingly being ahead of me. However...I remember how daunting Logic 8 was when I first started..I never knew a thing about computers. All I wanted to do was seek the right platform to translate my musicianship across so I could record my music. So Logic 9 arrived and with it a host of features and the requisite bugs. Until that was all corrected. I think you'll find everything here in tutorials and tips and Hub to help you overcome these ' onion skin ' thoughts.I went from being a dumbo to mastering my own songs thanks to Steve H and co. Rounik's advice and tips are diamond too. What becomes apparent is how much knowledge you will absorb , so that in the end you can reach the sound in your head ( or any happy accidents ) by what becomes a personal intuitive path. There's still a host of things to learn for me but on the whole, the main reason I am so delighted with Logic X is how quickly I was able to grasp the basics of the program.I haven't found any significant bugs yet like I used to....but no doubt they will sort that out too if needed. But I did my learning curve with Logic 9 and 8 and thank the brilliant help from MacProVideo and SF Logic Ninja and the host of YouTube teachers.Also it's their enthusiasm that makes the manuals a LOT less cold-feeling. All the best and I am sure people should get Logic X and if need be carry on with Logic 9 too. I continued my projects from 9 to X and haven't had any problems thus far. I did love Logic 9..it felt a bit odd opening that up this morning...like going back to an old school playground. I know that the EXS24 and Ultrabeat get some criticism for looking dated and needing upgrades of their own...but I think they are great. I really think Logic X is mannah for such a wide spectrum of musicians.It drops my jaw. P.S For the Drummer and Drum Designer alone you HAVE to get Logic X I will shut up now.
  • Rexinator
    Re: Logic X Mania
    Hey LL, thanks for all of your comments. I am very much like you in that I did my homework on Logic 9 and relied heavily on MPV tutorials to accomplish that. In fact, I have pretty much every MPV tutorial on Logic 8 and 9, and I agree that these are great eduational tools. I'm sure the tutorials available for Logic X are similarly very helful to get anyone up to speed and cranking great stuff with all the cool new tools that X has to offer. Maybe I'm suffering from tutorial burnout or from input overload, as I actually spent about two years entirely in a training mode, without recording anything, to get my arms around all of the software I had acquired (my self-imposed 'music training academy', as I call it). This was a labor of love and required a lot of determination (on top of keeping up with my day job). The impetus was mainly Apple's relentless output of new operating systems. For example, back in 2010, I'd had my eye on NI's Komplete package for years, and when I went to buy it, the only product available required Mac OS 10.6 and above, but my computer had Leopard OS (10.5). I had invested heavily in that computer, including getting all of my hardware device drivers aligned with the 10.5 OS. So I decided to go all out and actually bought a new power-packed quadcore with Snow Leopard. At that point, I also bought a huge pile of software that I had on my wishlist, including NI's Komplete, Melodyne, Superior Drummer, Omnisphere/Trillian and many others. The stack of boxes was literally 3 feet tall. I just figured that I would shoot my wad and get all of this before Apple upgraded the OS a couple more times and made my 10.6 system obsolete. I had no idea what an enormous universe of learing that was. Just getting my arms around Komplete alone took ungodly amounts of time, but I leveraged all of the MPV tutorials on this subject and for all of the other software I bought. I'm a nerdy kind of guy that likes to understand the things I spend money on. This effort has really paid off, as I now have a huge pallette of sounds and techniques to work with. So, to sum up, maybe I'm just sufferring from burnout on the learning curve, as it seems like I've spent more time studying tutorials over the last several years than making music. I did get a double-album finished a couple of months back and am into a new project, so I'm not just a perpetual student. When all is said and done, I am completely reinforced about the effort I spent to study the software, as the stuff I am making now is worlds better than what I used to produce. And I really appreciate the awesome support that MPV has provided over the years. I couldn't have done this without them. I read everything that they put out on the Hub. Hence, my previous comments about the fixation on Logic X, as I'm not going there just yet.
  • Rexinator
    I'm adding to my own post (and probably closing this out)...... I just checked the Hub today, and there is a great video on iZotope's Iris (by GW). I own Iris, so I hereby take back all of my comments about the Logic Pro X focus. In fact, I have the tutorial on Iris from MPV, and I also checked the one from Groove 3 (when they had a wicked sale). I am happy to report that MPV's tutorial was heads above, in terms of providing insight into how this synth works. I don't want to diss Groove 3 too much, as they have some good people, but their tutorial on Iris was much weaker than the one MPV put out. It's an awesome synth, so the great instruction from MPV is much appreciated.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rexinator, Read through your post with much joy! Means a lot to us here at macProVideo to hear about your positive experiences with our video courses! We make them because we're committed to facilitating creatives to go create! Also great to know your thoughts about GW's Iris article and video course. I couldn't agree more: he does an amazing job in that title and we hope to continue to set the bar (quality & economy-wise) with our training! Certainly there is a focus on Logic pro X right now, both on The Hub and our video library... but we try and give every DAW a spotlight when a new version arrives... Logic Pro X is still a hot topic for us... especially as all our authors are knocking on my door with suggestions for LPX articles... :) But rest assured while we will strive to cover all the new and exciting features of LPX, you'll find tutorials, reviews and interviews covering a wider gamut of topics again in the coming weeks. Best, Rounik
  • Rexinator
    Thanks for responding, Rounik. I probably overreacted, but I didn't want the MPV team to forget about us loyal fans who haven't opted to make the move to Logic X. It's all good!
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem!! You're certainly not forgotten!! But, at the same time our Logic articles will be focusing on Logic Pro X... it's the nature of the fast-paced world of music tech... people want to read about the latest and greatest... if Logic Pro 9 was still available for sale it might be different, but Apple have removed it from the Mac App Store. I do hope you come and join the LPX party soon... but, as I mentioned above, we'll still be publishing articles covering other audio apps and techniques too :)
  • Rexinator
    Fair enough. BTW, I'm still running the XP OS on my PC, just to give you an idea about how I tend to dwell in the past. I'll come around to Logic X before too long, when I get the time to fully embrace it. There probably isn't as much incentive for me, since I have a boatload of other software than can do a lot of what X has to offer (albeit with not nearly as tidy a package). Best regards!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: