Ask.Video
Forums
  • garyarchibeck
    My first post - stereo-mono button
    Hello All. I'm new to the forum. I am using Logic 9.1.6 (32 bit) on a MBP, 2.6 Core 2 Duo, 4G DDR2; Apogee Duet as interface. I am recording my very first studio album at home. In all my reading and visiting of web sites, forums, blogs, etc., I run into the recommendation to test my mixes in mono. The theory says if I can get a good sound in mono, then stereo will shine. When I toggle stereo/mono button on output track, the mono setting increases output 3-5dB. When I switch back to stereo the level drops back down. In both modes, the panning/separation is still evident. All regions are recorded in mono, and I removed any effect that would add separation/expansion. The sound is great either way, but I am puzzled. Any ideas about what's going on? I sure would appreciate knowing how the program works. blessings gary
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: My first post - stereo-mono button
    Hi Gary, I am not exactly sure why the output is rising by 3-5dB. It may be that when you sum the output to Mono soinsidious tracks or instruments are sitting in the same frequency range and therefore the frequencies add up causing an increase in gain. Maybe try this. Seeing as you will have to also master you track try add an Adaptive Limiter on the output channel to test. Turn the Output Ceiling parameter down to -0.1 so that nothing clips. Then toggle the Mono button on your audio interface and see if it does the same thing. You can also use the the Multimeter plugin and see what is going on with the stereo and mono correlation. Add the Multimeter to your output channel. Check it in Analyzer mode and Goniometer mode. Also with the Correlation Meter and the bottom, when your track is in stereo it sitter closer to the the +1 than to the centre to correlate better in mono.
  • BenB
    To confirm, I get this too. Not just in Logic, but in FCP, also. And Gary is correct, it is the additive effect of audio.
  • garyarchibeck
    Thank you for the feedback. My suspicions are confirmed Ben - it looked like some kind of summing effect. Gary thanks for the suggestions for mastering - that will be another milestone (if I brave enough to try). Have a great day! blessings gary
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: