Ask.Video
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Polyrhythmic signature
    Thanks! btw, how did your "Adding Realism to Sampled Instruments" talk go down at NAMM? Would be interested to know briefly what you covered... was it DAW generic? :)
  • Peter Schwartz
    It went very well, thanks for asking! Should we discuss this in this thread or start a new one?
  • Rounik Admin
    OK! Here's the new thread: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=30741[/url] (btw, do you prefer to be referred to as Ski... or by your real name?)
  • roberto
    Hi, to all possible names (...) just about Finale I've been told by a pro composer, who used it since always, that it doesn't have this possibility neither. I was very surprised! It seems that "machines" don't want to think multiple time at once. ... Or is it nowadays men's mind who does consider a multiple time dimension a useless thing/think ? mmh, me too, maybe I should open another thread? good life to all of you roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Roberto! Well, I know that Sibelius doesn't make it easy to do this... there are some workarounds you can use to trick Sibelius into it... Didn't realise that Finale required workarounds to make this possible too. I'm guessing there's not as much demand for this as for other features? :) R
  • Peter Schwartz
    Rounik, I'm thinking about the name thing... I'll ponder the question. Surprised to know that it takes workarounds to get both Sibelius and Finale to do polyrhythmic scores. Wondering if a call to either company (or a visit to one of their forums) could shed more light on what it takes to accomplish that. Anyway, Roberto, I wish you luck getting your piece notated. In the meantime, writing in 1/2 for the time being might your best option with Logic. Ski (Peter)
  • Rounik Admin
    Here's an interesting post about "tricking" Sibelius into working with polyrhythms: [url]http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=29460[/url] I haven't got any further into investigating Finale yet... Cheers Rounik
  • roberto
    Hello Rounik and Ski I was out for a few days so I could not answer to thank you for your inputs. The solution I've chosen is to write in whichever time (let's say 4/4) and put "on paper" the different accents where I need them. Of course for the eyes it's not the same and it doesn't have the same "elegance" in the score but musicians can understand and the sound comes as I want it anyway. Waiting until Logic will add this very useful thing... Thanks again to you and good work! Roberto
  • colemanta
    Hi Roberto - this is a long shot from 3 years into the future! I am working on a doctorate concentrating on Polymetric composing and improvising and read your thread with great interest. I would love to hear about your work, and the work of others you mentioned who are composing in this way. I have a copyist at present working on creating a polymetric score in Sibelius. Any information greatly appreciated. Trevor Coleman
  • roberto
    Hi Coleman, very interesting, after such a long time! Anyway..., at the moment I'm leaving for a few days. I'll be back next week. What I can do is to leave to you 2 links to my web site. You'll find 1."Conflitti - Poilritmie" (Conflicts) for percussions 2. Tenebrae in Lux Aeterna for Orchestra and Chorus. Both they are builded on a polymetric and polyrithmic structure. Listen to them, if you wish it, and if you'll be still interested, when I'll be back we can start to talk about. 1. http://robertoconzworks.wordpress.com/musica/composizioni-2/conflitti-poliritmie/ 2. http://robertoconzworks.wordpress.com/musica/composizioni-2/tenebrae-in-lux-aeterna/ About other composers... well, so much to say! From "canone mensurale" (1500 - 1600) to Ligeti and so on. But I'm sure you already know about. So, Coleman, if you wish in let's keep in touch. I wish you a good work Roberto 2.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: